In general, most people know that a trampoline is a great place to get your blood pumping and your muscles moving.
But you can also do some exercises on a trampoline that will give your body moving even more.
These exercises include jumping jacks, tuck jumps, squat jumps, twists, jogging, front drop, and many more.
Continue reading to find out what might be your favorite exercise on the trampoline.
Why you should exercise on the trampoline
The trampoline is a great place to getting your body sweating and get the muscles moving.
And instead of going out onto a road or trail and running, you can stay in one place and not have to go anywhere.
Jumping on a trampoline also has an advantage because your body is doing something called “rebounding”.
According to Healthline.com:
Rebounding can help work the muscles in the legs, increase your endurance, and strengthen your bones, among a number of other benefits. This type of exercise is gaining popularity because it’s gentle on the joints but allows you to work your cardiovascular system without taxing the body.https://www.healthline.com/health/exercise-fitness/rebounding#What-is-rebounding?
Healthline also mentions that rebounding is typically done on a mini-trampoline, but it can also be done on a full-size trampoline as well.
If you are a larger person, like me, you like the idea of being able to exercise on something that is going to be easier on the joints.
While I have learned to enjoy running, jumping on the trampoline leaves me just as tired, without my knees aching.
And if you decide to run in place on a trampoline, you can actually burn twice as many calories as you would with the same amount of running not on a trampoline.
So combining rebounding with other exercises on the trampoline can be a great benefit to you.
Here is a pretty extensive (but not exhaustive) list of exercises you can do on a trampoline.
Jumping jacks are a pretty standard exercise that must people learn while they are still pretty young.
Those jumping jacks are good for working out your legs, as well as your arms.
Combined with the rebounding you will do on a trampoline, and you will get that much more exercise out of your body.
To perform a jumping jack, do the following:
- Take off your shoes and socks and get on the trampoline
- Put your feet together and your arms to your side with the palms towards your body.
- While jumping, spread your legs apart about shoulder length apart and bring your hands together above your head (you can clap your hands together if you want).
- Bring your legs back together and your arms back to your side
- You’ve now done one jumping jack.
- Repeat steps 2 through 5 until you can’t do anymore.
Pelvic floor jumps
This exercise will help with your pelvic floor.
You can read one of our previous articles here to learn why exercising your pelvic floor is a good idea and how a trampoline can help.
To perform pelvic floor jumps, do the following:
- Take off your shoes and socks and get on the trampoline.
- Place an exercise ball in between your knees.
- Lightly jump up and down on the trampoline, focusing on keeping the ball between your knees, and squeeze the ball gently with your knees.
- Continue jumping for up to 5 minutes
This exercise gets your legs moving more and gives them a good stretch.
It also helps you be a little more limber.
- While standing straight up on the trampoline, jump into the air.
- In mid-jump, tuck your knees into your chest.
- Let go of your legs and land on your feet.
- Continue doing this for up to 5 minutes.
While regular jumping on a trampoline is going to work on your thighs, a squat jump is going to work on your quads.
When you perform a squat (which is basically like sitting down, but going further than where a chair would be), you are stretching out the quad muscle on your legs and giving them a pretty good work out.
- Stand in the middle of the trampoline and then jump in the air.
- While in the air, spread your legs wider than your hips and land on your feet with the rest of your body in the squatting position (this means bending your knees so your butt is lower than your knees). You will also want to have your arms straight out in front of you.
- Stand back up and repeat steps 1 and 2 again.
- Continue this exercise for up to 5 minutes.
Butt kicker jumps
This exercise will stretch out your quads as well, so it would be a good exercise to do the same day you are doing the squat jumps.
- Stand on the trampoline and then run in place.
- After a few seconds of regular running in place, when you kick one foot back, instead of kicking it back, bring your foot up so you kick yourself in the butt.
- Repeat step 2 for the other foot.
- Continue this for up to 5 minutes.
This exercise definitely works out most of your legs muscles, so it may be exhausting, but it will do a lot for your body.
- From a standing position on the trampoline, jump into the air.
- In mid-air, put your arms and legs straight out and touch the front of your feet (or toes depending on how far you can stretch) with your hands.
- Fall to the trampoline and land on your butt (place your palms down on the trampoline if you need support).
- Jump back up to a standing position and repeat the above steps.
- Continue this for up to 5 minutes.
If you want, you can also include an additional step when landing on the trampoline, after the initial bounce, you do a half twist and land facing the other way.
This move will additional get your hips moving.
Twists will stretch out your body, but will also work on your coordination since you will be turning part of your body one way and the other part another way.
- Start from the standing position on the trampoline.
- Jump into the air and turn the lower half of your body to the right and the upper half of your body to the left.
- Land on your feet.
- Now, jump into the air and turn the lower half of your body to the left and the upper half to the right.
- Continue this for up to 20 repetitions.
Single leg bounces
Single leg bounces are for people who are newer to jumping on a trampoline.
It will help you build coordination in your body and maintain balance.
- From the standing position on the trampoline, shift your weight to your right leg and lift your left leg off of the trampoline.
- Jump on the trampoline with just your right leg for up to 2 minutes.
- Switch legs, so your left leg has all the weight shifted onto it and the right leg is in the air.
- Jump on the left leg for up to 2 minutes (do it for the same amount of time you did on the right leg).
There are a few ways you can jog on a trampoline, including jogging in place.
You can also switch it up by instead of just landing your feet straight on the ground, you land them wider than shoulder-width or you can jog with your arms in the air.
- From the standing position, jump straight up into the and bring your arm straight into the air as well, pointing straight to the sky.
- Lower back to the standing position and repeat.
- Continue for up to 5 minutes
Another great exercise that will work many of the muscles in your body.
- From the standing position on your trampoline, jump as high as you can into the air.
- At the top of your jump, extend your arms and legs out to make the star shape.
- Land back on the trampoline and continue jumping for up to 5 minutes.
- From the standing position on the trampoline, jump into the air.
- While in the air, extend your legs straight out and apart as far as they will go.
- Land in the standing position.
Half twist or full twist
- From the standing position, jump into the air.
- While in the air, twist your body so you either land facing the opposite way or that you come around to the same spot.
- Land straight with your arms to your side.
Hands and knees jump
This is a very fun jump because you get to use all of your body to do it.
- From the standing position, jump into the air, but lean your body forward and bend your knees.
- Instead of landing on your feet, you are going to land on your knees and then on the rebound, and land on your feet.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 for up to 5 minutes.
Sometimes it can be hard to get out of the house and do some exercising.
Even more so to purchase a bunch of weights and find a place in your house to work out.
A trampoline can be a great alternative to these.
And using the above exercises, you could get a pretty good workout.